While anti-Asian racism, intersecting with sexism, is nothing new in the U.S., the horrendous murders in Atlanta and rise in violence against Asian-Americans in the last year have cast a painful light on the serious work we have to do. Putting an end to racism, sexism, exploitation, marginalization and violence must be at the heart of the climate movement.
On a personal level, the trauma and emotional toll this violence takes on targeted groups is heavy. Many of us are feeling shaken up, heartbroken and enraged, and we want to make sure we support each other here in the Bay Area in both the way that we plan and execute our actions, and the way we interact on a personal level.
If you would like to help and increase your awareness, here are some resources:
- Donate to Asian Americans Advancing Justice-Atlanta
- Asian Pacific Environmental Network, a great local organization championing environmental justice.
- Chinese Progressive Association supports the Asian-American community in SF
- #WeKeepUsSafe: APALA’s Resource Guide on Anti-Asian Violence
- Asian American Feminist Collective has a wide range of resources including a zine for supporting Asian American communities during COVID-19, links to mutual aid funds and nonprofits providing support, reading lists, and more.
- Red Canary Song provides resources for Asian migrant communities, Asian sex working communities, and the overlap between these two groups. Read their statement on the murder of the Asian American massage workers in Atlanta, and consider donating.
- Check out The Making of Asian America: A History by Erika Lee for a comprehensive look on the long and forgotten history of Asian American life.
- More resources on anti-Asian violence
- If you’re able, split a donation among eight organizations that are fighting to protect and support the AAPI community. Click here to split a donation now.